It comes as no surprise that first impressions are made by a web search of your name.
If someone starts with Google, most likely your LinkedIn profile will be a page one return. They may even start with LinkedIn, seeking to search for a professional at the top of their field.
Fix #1…Do your Skills & Endorsements match your current skill set?
- Remove old, irrelevant skills.
- Create the exact descriptions you want to be known for. While a default list exists, you can create your own keyword string that concisely defines your skills.
- It’s a little-known fact that skills contribute to your LinkedIn’s profile SEO (search engine optimization.)
- Edit this section to list your top 3 which is viewable because the remainder is hidden with “view 47 more.” Total of 50 skills is the max.
Fix #2…Avoid third-person writing and use personal pronouns: me, myself, and I.
- Create a conversation with your reader. Not a cut and paste from your resume or bio. When you write in the first person, you’re showing your authenticity and your authority at what you’ve done during your professional career. It’s your passion on display for your reader.
- My award-winning writers will help you. Or tackle the LinkedIn summary on your own and give insight into what you’ve done and why you’re really good at it.
- This suggestion applies to all sections, not just your opening summary. Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
Fix #3…Review and possibly revamp your headline to reflect your role, better describing your contributions.
What results do you achieve for whom? Rather than Director of North America, consider replacing it with: “CMO Partner & Strategic Advisor | Helping Franchises Accelerate Marketing & Innovation.”
If your company has a social media policy which limits your title section, you may be able to build your business case and present it to your leadership.
Click to schedule a meeting with me.
What we do for you:
- LinkedIn profile optimization with my award-winning writers.
- LinkedIn company page, creation and management.
- LinkedIn coaching | training, either 1:1 or 1: many.
- LinkedIn advertising, higher precision targeting for your lead gen funnel and conversion.
About CEO of LinkedInClub, D. B. Wienke
Our clients have proven results (ROI) in many business verticals from new casework for attorneys, new construction contracts, increasing patients in a concierge practice, winning new IT accounts and much more. Do you know how to make sense of LinkedIn? LinkedInClub has coached and trained thousands of professionals on maximizing LinkedIn to further their business goals, even as far as Japan and Israel. We’re a LinkedIn consulting, coaching and training firm that has been engaged by companies both large and small. It comes as no surprise that first impressions are made by a web search of your name.